A lovely combination of sweet roasted thyme beetroot with zingy horseradish cauliflower crush is the perfect combination for all of those healthy omega oils in fresh mackerel fillets.
Number of Servings: 4
For the horseradish sauce
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated horseradish, soaked in 2 tbsp hot water
- Pinch of english mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 Tbsp double cream, lightly whipped (or home made mayo if you avoid dairy recipe here)
- 4 large fresh beetroots
- 4 cups of cauliflower florets
- 4 fresh mackerel – filleted
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400f/200c/Gas mark 6
- Wash beetroot in cold water then dry on kitchen paper and trim.
- Place the beetroot in a large roasting tray, sprinkle with oil and roll around to coat.
- Sprinkle on salt pepper and thyme.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until the beetroots are soft but have not shrunk.
- Leave to cool, then rub away the skin with kitchen paper.
Whilst the beetroot is cooking…
Drain the soaked horseradish and mix with mustard powder, white wine vinegar, Lemon, double cream, salt and pepper.
Whilst the beetroot is cooling…
Turn the grill onto high
Place the cauliflower in a pan with enough water to cover the florets. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes.
Whilst the cauliflower is simmering, place mackerel fillets on a greased backing tray under the grill skin side up with a sprinkle of salt. Grill for around 5 minutes until the flesh is opaque and cooked through.
Once the fish is cooked take out to rest while you drain then crush the cauliflower and mix in with horseradish cream. Pile Cauliflower on the plate topped with mackerel and beetroot. Enjoy with your favourite salad leaves. We like spinach with rocket or mizuna for added spice!