3 steps to a delicious and nutritious side dish which goes great with fish, chicken or pork. Chop, whisk and mix!! It could not be simpler.
Fennel is a low calorie antioxidant and is a good source of Vitamin C, fibre, potassium & folate, and is believed to be beneficial in lowering blood pressure. It is also used in many cultures to aid digestion and relieve flatulence. Combined with apples which are also a great source of Vitamin C and fibre, this side dish may benefit you by helping to regulate blood sugar and at this time of year the extra Vitamin C will definitely help to ward of colds and flu. Great reasons to try it today!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced diagonally, plus 1/4 cup loosely packed celery leaves
- 2 small fennel bulbs, thinly sliced crosswise, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 1 firm, crisp apple (such as Pink Lady, Gala, or Granny Smith), julienned
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Whisk olive oil, cider vinegar, tarragon, lemon and honey in a medium bowl.
- Add celery and celery leaves, thinly sliced fennel and chopped fennel fronds, and apple; toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This side dish can be included as part of our 30 Day Challenge if you are taking part.