Slow cookers are wonderful things. Prep the evening before and switch on before you leave for work the next morning and you’ll be coming home to a tasty dinner with minimum fuss.
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 large or 2 small ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed if present (about 3 pounds)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 pound)
- 8 ounces frozen kale, defrosted
- Hot sauce, for serving, optional
Combine the cilantro, olive oil, oregano, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and a few grinds of pepper in a food processor and pulse until it forms a chunky sauce. Add it to the slow cooker insert along with the chicken thighs, and toss together. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
After 3 hours, add the sweet potatoes, nestling them underneath the chicken. About 30 minutes before the stew is done, add the kale.
Divide the stew among four bowls and serve with hot sauce on the side if desired.
Per serving: Calories 350; Fat 9 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 115 mg; Sodium 920 mg; Carbohydrate 36 g; Protein 32 g; Fiber 6 g; Sugars 11 g
Find more here at Food Network.