One of the biggest problems facing our clients is time! Work commitments and commuting can cause serious problems for those trying to stick to a healthy diet when the convenience culture in the UK is strong. DO NOT FEAR. Stir frying can be the solution to your problems when you get home late. In only 5 minutes you can knock up some wonderful flavours and quickly cooking vegetables is one sure fire way to maximise the availability of vitamins and minerals.
Try out this recipe for a quick beef and cabbage stir fry. You can easily substitute the meat for your favourite and use any leftover veggies you have lying around so don’t feel stuck!
INGREDIENTS (serves 5 or great for leftover lunches!)
- 1 kg rump steak
- 5 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Chinese cabbage, chopped finely
- Coriander (stems & leaves) ½-1 cup depending on taste.
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Sesame oil
- ½ Cup flaked almonds
- First, brown the flaked almonds in a pan over low/medium heat. Stir occasionally and remove from heat when lightly browned. Take out of pan and set aside.
- Cook your steak as you prefer it. I cook mine 2 minutes each side on a grill pan on high heat. When cooked, take it off the heat, cover and allow to rest.
- Heat a frying pan or wok to high heat, add 1/2 cup chicken stock and add the carrots and capsicum.
- Stir fry for about a minute.
- Add the Chinese cabbage to the pan. Yes, I know it looks like way too much, but it will very quickly wilt and become much smaller. Add in the coriander as well.
- Stir after it’s steamed for a while. Continue to stir until cooked.
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of sesame oil over the top.
- Slice your steak into strips and either toss through the veggies, or allow people to help themselves to veggies and then top with the steak. Finally, sprinkle some of the toasted almonds over the top.
- Serve and enjoy!
More recipes available here > An Aussie with Crohns
BALANCEFORLIFE are here to help you get fit, lose weight, be healthy and feel great. We provide personal training in South London and nutrition help to those who want to lose weight and get healthy. Contact us today for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us here to see recommendations from our clients http://www.balanceforlife.co.uk/recommendations.php.