Not sure what to do with Aubergines? Try this yummy dish. Nutritious and filling. Can be served with mango chutney or lime chutney and wonderful sprinkled with fresh coriander and a dash of freshly squeezed lime.
- 100g red lentils , rinsed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste (we used Bart)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 3cm/1¼ inch piece ginger , grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 medium aubergine , cut into 2 cm slices
Serves 2. Super healthy. 10 min prep. 25 minute cook. Vegetarian. Gluten Free.
- Cover the lentils, turmeric and tamarind paste with 500ml water. Add some salt and boil for 15 mins or until very soft. Skim off any foam that forms on the top. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil and cook the onion, garlic and ginger until golden, about 5 mins.
- Add the curry powder and cook for a further 2 mins. Pour in the lentil mixture and cook for another 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot. Rub the remaining oil over the aubergine slices and season. Cook for 2-3 mins each side until cooked through and charred. Eat with basmati rice, lime or mango chutney and a sprinkling of coriander, if you like.
NUTRITOIN INFORMATION PER SERVING
325 kcalories, protein 15g, carbohydrate 41g, fat 13 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 7g, sugar 10g, salt 0.72 g Recipe from Good Food magazine, June 2011. Click here to see the recipe from BBC Good Food website.